“If you plant something and it doesn’t work the first time it doesn’t mean you can’t grow...it happens to me all the time and I have been growing food for a very long time.”
Hilary Dahl - Mastering Vegetable Gardening in the Pacific Northwest - Get Up & Grow Podcast EP #6
Welcome to the Get Up & Grow Podcast! In this episode we have the pleasure of speaking with Hilary Dahl, co-owner of the Seattle Urban Farm Company. She shares her journey as a grower, entrepreneur and educator. She discusses the unique aspects of designing gardens in the Pacific Northwest, the significance of sustainability in garden projects and the increased interest in gardening since the pandemic.
Hilary spoke with us about the two books she co-authored: Food Grown Right, In Your Backyard and Grow More Food. She also touches on how her yoga practice complements her life as a gardener. Whether you're a beginner or a seasoned gardener, Hilary provides valuable tips for starting and improving your own vegetable garden.
We discuss some of the following:
• Seattle Urban Farm Company: Hilary provided insights into the Seattle Urban Farm Company, its mission and its impact on the community.
• Creating Edible Landscapes: Hilary elaborated on the concept of "edible landscapes" and highlighted some of the work she has done in this area.
• Unique Aspects of Pacific Northwest Gardening: We explored how working and designing urban gardens differ in the Pacific Northwest region.
• Rewarding or Challenging Projects: Hilary shared a specific project that was particularly rewarding or challenging, offering insights into her experiences.
• Importance of Local Food Production: We delved into the significance of local food production through gardening and its impact on sustainability and community resilience.
• Integration of Sustainability in Garden Design: Hilary emphasized the importance of sustainability in their projects and described various methods they integrate into garden design.
• Marketing and Photography for Business: We explored the significance of marketing and taking good photos to promote the Seattle Urban Farm Company.
• Yoga Practice and Gardening: Hilary discussed how her yoga practice complements her life as a gardener and enhances her connection to nature.
• Advice for Aspiring Gardeners: Hilary provided valuable tips for individuals who are considering growing their own food.
Hilary shared resources during this episode where people can learn more about the Seattle Urban Farm Company and its initiatives which are all available on her website here: https://www.seattleurbanfarmco.com/
This Podcast is dedicated to growers like you so we appreciate your feedback so we can provide the best experience possible for the grower community.
Now Get Up & Grow!